In our last blog series, we learned about Indoor Air Pollution that is caused by insufficient ventilation in modern homes which can result in a build-up of toxic chemicals. The build-up occurs because modern homes are so tightly sealed up that when you use these toxic chemicals to clean your home, they are unable to escape to the outside and then simply accumulate each week as you clean your home. One of the best ways you can reduce the ‘toxic load’ in your indoor environment is simple – replace your toxic cleansers with others that are less toxic.
Grocery Store Cleansers
Rows and Rows and Rows of Cleaning Products line the shelves of the grocery store. It can be intimidating. Do you choose whatever is being advertised heavily? Do you buy what your mother used? Do you decide to take the cheapest (or most expensive) product? A better informed consumer makes an educated purchaser, saving money and time. Here is what you should know.
People use a vast array of different cleansers, deodorizers, anti-bacterials, and other products that can provide cosmetic or a healthy improvement to your home, and they often also remove the harmful bacteria and microorganisms that cause infection and illness. However, many cleaning products leave behind chemical residues that can be as bad for you or worse than the bacteria that they got rid of. These are exactly the toxic household cleaning chemicals that poison an indoor environment.
The most dangerous chemicals in your home are corrosive cleansers such as oven cleaner, acid-based toilet bowl cleansers, and of course drain cleaners. Even after use, these aggressive chemicals can cause severe burns, both external, as on the skin or eyes, and internal, burning even the esophagus, stomach, and intestines.
You might think that you’re safer with more common cleansers like bleach or ammonia, but both of these can still be punishing irritants. Not only that, but for children, the elderly, and anyone with asthma or heart or lung diseases, bleach or ammonia can cause extreme and severe reactions. These toxic household cleaning chemicals should never be used in areas where your family members can be exposed to these toxic household cleaning chemicals. Additionally, bleach and ammonia, if combined, can produce highly toxic fumes. These toxic household cleaning chemicals can really be risky in your home.
Many fragrances that are found in cleaning products and odor eliminators – especially those used in laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and fabric sprays – can cause allergic or even toxic reactions. Companies often claim that their chemical makeups are trade secrets to avoid divulging the specific harmful chemicals and allergens in their products. (Don’t believe us? Do a google search with the search terms “Are product ‘scents’ safe?”)
|Buy a quart of SNiPER here!|
Immediate reactions to direct exposure are only one form of danger, however. Far more treacherous is that many cleansers have chemicals in them that are known carcinogens or can have neurological or hormonal consequences after prolonged contact. Avoid any product that has diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA),1,4-dioxane, or butyl cellosolve in it. Again – many products that contain those potentially lethal chemicals don’t even list them, so do your research.
Since it’s difficult to find out the specific chemical makeup of any product, your best bet is to only use an EPA-registered, cleaner that you can be sure is non-harmful. True cleanliness isn’t just about a home that appears to be safe and clean. It’s about making sure that everyone that lives there, or even just comes to visit, is protected from harm.
The good news is that Nok-Out odor eliminator or SNiPER disinfectant and odor eliminator don’t leave toxic residues behind. Fragrance-free SNiPER enjoys the lowest toxicity rating that the EPA gives out in all four categories (skin, eyes, lungs and if ingested). SNiPER works to kill bacteria, viruses, mildew and other microbes that cause illness and infection, but will not cause you or your family harm.
Throw them away!
So throw away those products that are ‘fresh scented’ because those scents might well be causing you harm and no one is protecting consumers from this. Get rid of the bleach you use to kill mold, because it doesn’t kill the mold, and does not kill the spores. Why spend your money on several products when there is one product that can replace many of those items under your sink? Try SNiPER instead. When you get rid of those toxic household cleaning chemicals, your home environment will improve as toxicity levels stop climbing. You will feel better and your family will be safer.