Remove Cat Urine Odor With Nok-Out
How to Remove Cat Urine Odor
We love our cats! But cat urine can become astonishingly smelly stuff. As anyone who has ever emptied a litter box knows, the ammonia stench can literally bring tears to your eyes. Fortunately for us cat lovers, Nok-Out or SNiPER can easily remove cat urine odor safely and reliably without leaving toxic residues behind. With this product, you can easily remove cat urine odor from carpet, upholstery and more. Visitors to your home won’t even know you have cats!
How it Works
The most important thing to keep in mind is that these products are oxidizers and when they come into direct contact with pet urine, they oxidize that stuff, changing it into something that no longer has an odor. Direct contact is required for this product to be able to do it’s job. Also, it needs time for the oxidization to take place. So spray the area and allow it to air dry naturally.
Hard Surfaces such as Walls or Floors
These are easy. If there is a puddle, blot it up with an old towel. Then you can simply spray Nok-Out or SNiPER™ on the affected area, wipe it around to ensure good coverage and walk away, allowing the area to air dry naturally. Nok-Out and SNiPER™ leave very little residue and are not corrosive, so there is no need to wipe it up.
Carpets – Here’s the Deal
Some Stains Are Not Really Stains
At first, the cat urine is mildly acidic. But within a few minutes, microbial action begins to change the urine chemically to a powerfully alkaline substance. This is where the ammonia smell comes from. The pH of cat urine/ammonia is really high and if left in a puddle, it leechs the blue and red dyes right out of the carpet fibers, leaving a yellowish spot. It is yellow because there is no other color left! This is permanent and there is no “undoing” this color change. It is not a spot – it is actually the absence of the dyes that the carpet manufacturer used to give your carpet it’s color. Clearly, this is to be avoided! The solution is to blot up as much of that urine as possible, as soon as possible, to prevent the leeching of dye from your carpet fibers.
Carpets are more of a challenge to deodorize because it is more difficult to achieve direct contact. Gravity pulls the urine down through the layers all the way to the flooring below that. When this happens, Nok-Out needs to go down there also in order to be able to do what it does.
How You Can Remove Cat Urine Odor
1. First off, use your nose to locate the affected areas. If this step proves difficult, you may want to purchase a hand-held black light from a hardware store. Pet urine glows a pale green under a black light and you can darken the room and use a piece of chalk to lightly mark areas that are glowing.
2. Once located, you can begin treatment. If it is a ‘fresh’ puddle in your carpet, get an old towel and blot up as much of the urine as possible.
3. Test for colorfastness by spraying with Nok-Out or SNiPER™ in an inconspicuous place and then rubbing vigorously with a white cloth for a few moments. In the unlikely event that there is any color transfer – stop immediately. The dyes are not colorfast. You may still be able to use Nok-Out or SNiPER™, but you should dilute by at least 4:1 (water:Nok-Out or SNiPER™).
4. For carpets, you can dilute Nok-Out by anywhere from 4:1 up to 10:1. This aids in getting Nok-Out down to the floor level. Spray or pour it onto the spot and use your feet to try and force the mixture outwards from the area. Once it hits the floor, the urine will spread sideways and your goal is to ensure that the diluted mixture comes into contact with all of that stuff. Allow it to sit for 20 – 30 minutes, then use a wet-vac to try and suck up as much excess fluid as possible. Or use old towels to blot up as much as you can. Put fans on the area and allow to dry before giving it the ‘sniff’ test.
5. Area rugs are easier – you can simply spray both sides and perhaps massage it in with your fingers or some kind of gentle brush. Again, you are trying to ensure that Nok-Out comes into direct contact with the smelly stuff.
Removing cat urine odor from upholstered furniture is similar to carpets because the urine is likely to have sunk down below the upholstery and into the ‘stuffing’. First, test that the fabric is colorfast in an inconspicuous area. Most modern dyes are powerfully colorfast, but better to err on the side of caution here. Try simply spraying the area thoroughly and allow to air dry. If you are lucky, the urine will not have sunk deep and a fairly light spraying will achieve direct contact. Easy mission success!
In the event that a light spraying is not effective, it is likely that the urine has sunk deeply into the stuffing and therefore, Nok-Out will also have to penetrate deeply to be able to do it’s work. For this type of application it is best to dilute Nok-Out at least 50 / 50 with water. Spray heavily enough that this mixture will be absorbed deeply into the stuffing. It may take up to a week for this to dry fully, but wait until it is fully dry to give it the sniff test. You can remove cat urine odor from your sofa successfully without causing harm to your furniture with Nok-Out or SNiPER.
1. Nok-Out and SNiPER™ are both oxidizers and when they come into direct contact with the smelly stuff, they “oxidize” (think chemically change) that stuff into something that no longer has an odor. Direct contact is required for this product to be able to work.
2. For application to deeply layered surfaces such as overstuffed furniture or carpets, it is usually a good idea to dilute Nok-Out – it will still be effective and will make getting contact with the smelly stuff that is deeply embedded much easier. And, it will make this product go further. Efficiency is good!
When you are tired of grocery store odor eliminators that don’t work, or that are only masking the odor, give Nok-Out a try – with this unique product, you can successfully remove cat urine odor from your home. You’ll be able to breathe easy again! Your guests won’t even know you have a cat!
If you have any questions regarding how to apply Nok-Out, or SNiPER® check out our How To Articles or, call Ted Price toll free at 866.551.1927.
“Nok-Out Saved My New Car!”
Thank you for creating such a great product. I would and will recommend this to everyone I know. My son left raw meat in my car for 4 days and I thought that my new car was ruined, but after talking with you and using the product, I can now get in my car and the only thing that I smell is a clean, disinfected smell! Thank you for saving my new car!
I Am Amazed at The Results!
I learned about Nok-Out from Mary Hunt’s Everyday Cheapskate column and had to try it. Shipping was so fast and your customer service is OUTSTANDING! I am amazed at the results! I even filled a tiny spray bottle to keep in my car. I won’t be wasting my money on any other cleaners anymore. You have a lifetime customer here. Thank you so much!
My Mildew Stain Disappeared!
I brought in the plants for winter and when it was time to move them back outside in the spring, I had a mildew stain on the carpet. I received my Nok-Out Carpet cleaner and sprayed the stain and let it sit for 10 minutes. When I returned to scrub the stain it was completely gone!! Woo hoo!! Thank you, Mary Hunt, for introducing me to this wonderful product!
Removed All The Feral Cat Urine
Sniper has been AMAZING. I was able to completely remove all the feral cat urine scent from the carpets, mattresses, clothing, and toys. It worked beautifully and left no smell, no fumes, and didn’t leave any discoloration. Sniper is now my cleaner of choice and I use it everywhere to clean and sanitize as well as freshen the air. I even use it in my daughter’s gym shoes and soccer bag. Thank you so much. Seriously the best product on the market.
Cats Get Old!
Cats get old. Things happen. Nok-Out was recommended to me by a friend in another state. I Will never go to the pet store again to try any other product. Nok-Out is IT! I told my Veterinarian about it. I love how fast it arrives after ordering. I ordered three times because we are still working on issues, but at least the house doesn’t SMELL! Amazing product. THANK YOU!
Nok-Out Removed Old Dog Urine Odor
I have an Electrolux rug shampooer and was trying to remove old odors of dog urine in my oriental carpets. I shampooed them then put a concentration of 4-1 water to Nok-Out in the tank and went back over them. No more odor!! Worked great! Was sooo happy!
Rotten Potato Smell Gone!
There cannot be anything worse than potatoes that are forgotten and rot. Any pet I have ever had that had an accident cannot compare. Nok-Out eliminated the odor quickly. What a wonderful product!
Sniper Eliminated Our Mold Problems!
We’ve used SNiPER disinfectant for several years. It works great. It has eliminated our mold problems and, still, we use it to keep our wooden cutting boards safe.
Best Odor Control for carpet
Nok-Out and SNiPER are both great products that I use in my carpet cleaning biz to remove odor in carpets. It works great against pet urine odor! It doesn’t cause discoloration and always works. Sniper kills mold and removes the odor in carpets as well. Great products
Sniper Removed Old Water Odors, Mold & Mildew
I have been using Sniper in the Offshore oil industry as both a disinfectant and a deodorizer for years. It has eliminated old water smells of toilets and bathrooms not used in a year where the water sat and molded mildewed and stank. As well as being injected into our old quarters ac vents to prevent mold buildup. Always worked better than anything comparable and well worth the price.